Michael Mckinney
Maycomb Editorial

In recent news, Tom Robinson, a black man, is being accused of raping Mayella Ewell, the daughter of Bob Ewell. Atticus Finch is defending him, even though Mr. Finch knows they are going to lose the case, because Tom Robinson is black. Atticus knows Tom Robinson is innocent, but he doesn’t think he will win the case because stereotypes.

I saw Atticus’s children, Jem Finch and Scout Finch along with Dill. They appear to be watching their father, when four cars show up. At that moment, a group of men gets out, and demands Atticus to move away from the jailhouse doors. Atticus did not move away from the doors, and Scout suddenly moved out from her hiding spot, so Jem and Dill followed her. Atticus told his children to go home, but jem refuses to leave. Than the men told Atticus that he had fifteen seconds to get his children to leave.

While this is all going on, Scout is looking around at the group of men. She sees someone that she knows that goes by the name Mr. Cunningham. He is the father of one of her friends from school, Walter Cunningham. Scout tells him to tell Walter “hey” and Mr. Cunningham gets ashamed and squats down to tell Scout that he will tell Walter “hey” for her. Then he tells the group to “clear out”

That is when I come out from my hiding place holding a shotgun and telling Atticus that I had him covered the whole time. After Atticus and I talk for a few, Atticus leaves and takes his children home. Overall there was a group of men that was a threat to Atticus. Without his children there things could have turned ugly.

Signed,

Mr. Underwood